Category Archives: High Frequency Word
The word PRUDENT sounds like PRESIDENT. A President of any country is usually wise who is cautious about the country’s future.
SYNONYMS : cautious, careful, discreet, canny, vigilant, judicious, wise, shrewd, provident, sensible
- He is taking a prudent and cautious approach.
- We believed ours was the prudent and responsible course of action.
- A prudent person/attitude.
The word TARDY sounds like TIRED. So, if one is tired, he/she is usually slow at his work and arrives late than the expected time.
SYNONYMS : late, not punctual, overdue, belated, dilatory, behindhand
- He was as tardy as ever for our appointment.
- The agency’s tardy response to the hurricane.
- A tardy reader
- Tardy retribution
1707, from M.L. ossous, from L. osseus ”bony,” from os (gen. ossis) “bone
Only for achievers, not for everyone.
For more assistance on “How to memorise GRE words?” call Anupama on +91-9212174123
face + tears (tious) so humorous , jocular ki face se tears nikal gaye.
Meaning: humorous, jocular
Ant: grave, serious,dull
Flotilla are fleet of ships those flow in water.
A fleet of small craft.
“Now [the limousine service] has a flotilla of about 150 cars, more than 200 uniformed chauffeurs” (People).
armada, vessels, warships, argosy
A flotilla is usually composed of a homogeneous group of the same class of warship, such as frigates, destroyers, torpedo boats, submarines, gunboats, or minesweepers. Larger warships are grouped in squadrons.
fret, grumble, languish, moan, mourn, regret, whimper
1. Execrable – Exercise + cable – He is exercising using TV cable.
It is very bad. People are cursing him. He is being detested by all.
2. Exult – EXam + resULT – He has topped his exams. SO he is in a very much happy and elated.
3. Exhilarating – EXcellent + LARA + ponTING
Invigorating and refreshing
The performance of Lara and Ponting was excellent and refreshing.
4. Exacerbate – EXAm + SAR + aBATE; If in an exam, you keep your hand on your (SAR – hindi), you will worsen your paper.
5. Exorbitant – Ex (out) + Orbit – that is out of orbit or limitation binding it; excessive
6. Expedite – Speed + IT – hasten, speed up
7. Expropriate – EXwife + Property – Exwife took all the property. Therefore, take possession of.
8. Extol – ex + TOLL – At TOLL booth, you are praising, glorifying the people for making such beautiful roads and highways.
9. Extricate – Mr. (Ex) played a TRICk to FREE himself from the prison. Therefore, free, disentangle
10. Exonerate – EX + Honour – To bring back your ex honour by taking the blame off you.
Contributed by Maddy at http://www.greword.com/gre/index.php/topic,2516.0.html